Thursday, March 25, 2010

Paper is a wonderful thing

A house without books is like a room without windows. No man has a right to bring up his children without surrounding them with books, if he has the means to buy them ~ Horace Mann.
~~~
Not content with joining one library I have now joined another, naturally I am attracted to beautiful books full with pictures, like Idées pour les Pétales by Sophie Debieve, the book bursts with colour and inspires me to paint in shades of pink and red.
~~~
On Friday when I return books, magazines and music to Fougeres I will be searching for a favorite book about the forest, which has many poems in it. We have been asked to write about trees for next weeks French class!
Did you know that although Paper was invented about 2000 years ago in China, and was made in the 1400s throughout Europe, it was not until the late 1700s that paper was being produced in long, continuous rolls. In 1798 a French paper mill clerk invented a machine that could make a continuous sheet.
~~~
This piece of art was Inspired by a book about Tiffany lamps.
Light Filters
Walking in the forest in spring time, it may have arrived at last!? Get out there and get shooting.

Soft spring light

On the subject of paper do you still buy one? ... these days we only buy a local paper Ouest France on a Friday, although I would like to to try out France Soir which comes out every morning ~ matin!

The French word for picture frame is cadre
The French word for bookish is livresque

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a lovely blog! Your art is wonderful. And I totally agree with your quotation. We are surrounded by books in our house - and chaos!
Kind wishes,
Stephanie

LadyFi said...

Love your spring photo! If you visit me, you'll still see lots of snow and ice! We even built a snowman at the weekend!

I adore books - couldn't be without them.

French Fancy... said...

I totally agree with you about paper - people just don't think about it. During the Revolution here it was the starting up of lots of small publishing houses that really spread the word of dissent.

I usually get Le Poher on a Wednesday (it only comes out once a week) and Le Telegramme on a Friday.

Carol said...

We have so many books it's rediculous...and we gave away tons before we left Thailand!!

I love paper...and have lots of it in different colours, weights and textures!! I've just started reading newspapers again...I have to for Uni but I find them pretty awful...what happened to balanced, well informed journalism?

C x

Ps. Love the art work hon!

Ken Devine said...

Hi Blu
That was interesting about paper. I never buy a paper these days...MIL beats me to it.
Lovely photo and very,very nice painting...much more vibrant than any Tiffany lamp that I can recall. Nice clean lines and contrasting confident colours.

ArtPropelled said...

Books ..... life would be terribly dull without them. I was looking for a title to see who the French Artist was who painted Light Filters. Maurice Esteve came to mind...... and now I'm amazed, Blu!

bindu said...

No, don't buy paper anymore! Looks like you've been painting a lot - will go look at everything you've made.