Saturday, February 6, 2010

Picture a memory.

"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser" ~ John W. Gardner 1912 - 2002 American Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare.












Although I think that I am more of a painter I am now enjoying making a few rough sketches. I was recently bought some wonderful artists pencils, and I am now enjoying sketching and drawing all sorts of things, and now just for fun I have a couple of journals where I draw really quickly an image of that day, they will help me remember where I have been!


Blu's Memorydoodles




On the subject of pencils!!!
Nicholas Jacques Conte (1755-1805), French mechanical genius, chemist and painter, born on the 4th of August 1755, from a family of poor farm labourers. At the age of fourteen he displayed artistic talent painting a series of religious panels, he then took up portrait painting. He was also passionate about scientific studies. With the supply of plumbago (a native English graphite) cut off by the war between England and France, Conté devised a mixture of clay and graphite used to this day in pencils, and took out a patent in 1795 for the form of pencil which still bears his name.

At the weekend I made a mixed media collage, inspired by a talk we had at our French class about India, in French Inde.

Aromatic Lands


Etymology for the word pencil.

The French word for pencil case/box is a plumier.
The French word for eraser or rubber is gomme.

3 comments:

LadyFi said...

You are such a talent, Blu! Love your memory doodles, and that rich red painting is fabulous!

Paula Phillips said...

This is absolutely stunning! Tres bien! ;) That's the 10 years of french class in me. lol
Much LOVE

mooaany said...

Blu tis beautiful, I love your blog. I forgot to tell you that I am on blogspot too! http://mooaanysays.blogspot.com

a mish mash blog