Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Armistice Day

Today is a public holiday in France so although the children only went back to school on Thursday they have another day off to day.
I guess you have noticed that whenever a new road is ripped through an embankment, poppies spring up. I believe that is why the poppy was chosen as a symbol. Shells tore through the ground in the battles of the First World War, later fields of poppies grew.


Ne pas oublier........don't forget. Oublier Jamais........Never Forget.

A First World War Film. If you haven't watched this film, and if you love the star of the film Amelie (Audrey Tatou), then try watching this and enjoy this one............ A very long Engagement. That link takes you to a fairly harsh critique but I loved it, Audrey is as enchanting as ever!

5 comments:

mixedabilityME said...

Great post,Blu-lovely avatar-special.Loved the film too.

French Fancy... said...

I didn't realise that is why the poppy was chosen as the symbol I do love them but as most of my garden is pastel shades or white, the odd self-seeded poppy really stands out. I usually pick them for indoors - that way the colours of the arden still meld together and I also have the pleasure of seeing the poppy close in up a vase

But how naughty of me to turn this war remembrance post into a me me me one. I've read much about the Great War, most of it from the point of view of the tragic soldiers in the trenches - both sides - and it makes hard but necessary reading. Damn those stupid generals. I wish it was like in Henry V's day - the king led the troops - I'm sure the military top brass would make better decisions then.

Blu said...

Well the French choose the cornflower, which also would have had its seeds thrown around in the battle fields. See we dony even agree which flower to use haa haa we like our coquelicot, however the cornflower is my favorite flower.

mixedabilityME said...

Because it's Blu! :)

bindu said...

Interesting - about wild flowers and places torn up. There's something melancholy and uplifting about a field of wildflowers ...

will check out the film.